WOLVES ATTEND STATE WRESTLING TOURNAMENT - Members of the Rayne High School wrestling team who traveled to Bossier City for the 2019 LHSAA Division II State Wrestling Tournament were, front row, from left, Alyssa Dorsett, Brad Boulet, Dax Constantin, JaKarion Fontenot, Corbin Simon, Daylon Dugas, Blaze Cormier, Hayden Trahan, Carmen Venable; second row, Coach Shelby Thibodeaux, David George, Deuce Morgan, Ryder Hawley, Reece Carrier, Beau Perrodin, Morgan Manuel and Coach Brennan Fontenot; third row, Ron Roberts, Bailey Dugas, Blayton Francis, Gaven Guidry and Jeremiah Murray; top row, Coach Patrick Fontenot, Coach Trevor Carriere, Trevon Scott, Khristian Grossie, Miles Doucet, Emile Richard, William Billings and Coach Pappy Manuel. (Acadian-Tribune Photo by Lisa Soileaux)
Wolves place at Division II State Wrestling Tournament
BOSSIER CITY - The Rayne High Wrestling Team traveled to the CenturyLink Center in Bossier City for the 2019 LHSAA Division II State Wrestling Tournament.
Senior leader Morgan Manuel claimed back-to-back championships in the 145-pound weight class by claiming a win over Charles Travasos of Teurlings Catholic.
Manuel is the only Rayne High wrestler in the history of the program to participate in the state finals three times. He is now a two-time state champion, winning titles during his junior and senior years. In addition, Manuel placed third during his sophomore campaign and was the state runner-up as a freshmen.
Besides winning his second state championship, Morgan also took home the tournament’s “Most Outstanding Wrestler” award.
Overall, the Wolves finished in sixth place in the Division II team race as Parkway High School winning the team title and Teurlings Catholic in the runner-up position.
Rayne High placed another five wrestlers on the podium (top 6), including:
• At 120 pounds, unseeded Reese Carrier, after loosing his first match, wrestled through the consolation bracket to place sixth overall.
• At 132 pounds, fifth-seeded Ryder Hawley exceeded expectations and placed third over Teurlings Catholic’s Jacob Pepiton.
• At 160 pounds, sixth-seeded William Billings improved his stock and placed fourth.
• At 170 pounds, sixth-seeded Ron Roberts wrestled through in what could be the tournament’s toughest weigh class, finishing sixth place overall
• At 182 pounds, second-seeded Miles Doucet made the state finals and came up just short to Sam Houston’s Mataius Lavine, to finish as a state runner-up.
Other Rayne High wrestlers who competed in the 2019 State Wrestling Tournament were: 106 lbs.-Beau Perrodin, 113 lbs.-Blaze Cormier, 126 lbs.-Jeremiah Murray, 138 lbs.-Dax Constantine, 152 lbs.-Emile Richard, 195 lbs.-Trevon Williams and 220 lbs.-Khristian Grossie.
NOTE: The Wolfacts Wrestling Club (the former Rayne Wrestling Club) will begin practices on Feb. 12. Practice will be held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 5-6:30 p.m. in the Rayne High School south gym.
Students of 5-16 years of age are encouraged to attend practice and see if this is the sport they have been looking for. Please call Trevor Carriere with questions 337-349-8357.